Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another One Bites The Dust


I went on my first job interview in the three months of trying to land a job. Was I at all excited about this interview? Nope.

Did I feel obligated to go since it's the first interview I've been offered. You bet.

So I drive an hour and find the place. I go inside and expect a cattle call of other unemployed folks who, like me, are desperate for a job. Instead, it's just me. Then I go into this office that clearly belongs to no one (blank walls, clean desk, no computer) and interview with a short hispanic guy. He asked me a list of 5 basic interview questions (i.e., what is your favorite color? What is the airspeed velocity of a coconut laden swallow?) (just kidding).

The "interview" takes a total of ten minutes, if that. Then I am dismissed and told that I would be given a call around 4 p.m. if I'm a good fit. Then there would be a series of two more in-depth interviews. Oh joy.

Here's what I wanted to say: "You do realize that this 10 minute chit-chat could have been done BY PHONE, don't you? Then I would have known enough about this so-called "job" and not wasted my time and make-up. And in turn, you could have hired someone who believes they might actually make money off of this crap."

But instead I said: "Thank you."

At exactly 3:40 p.m. I get a phone call. I don't answer. Five minutes later, I listen to the very vague voice message. Then I call back and I'm offered a job. I very politely tell them thanks but no thanks.

Forgive me, but I just don't think I want to go door-to-door selling cable packages. I didn't think you could do door-to-door sales anymore. This was also a legal pyramid scheme and commission pay only. So if I didn't get shot trespassing, I probably still couldn't pay my bills off of commission only.

Sorry Charlie.


3 comments:

NatureCat said...

Keep your chin up, kiddo! It's frustrating, but you will laugh about this one day. Just keep getting your name out there. Make a really killer cover letter and send at least 25 resumes out per day. Any company would be LUCKY to have you! (Your brother-in-law says you should get the book Knock 'Em Dead).

Jennjilla said...

man, I went on a few of those types of interviews. Some of them are really good at hiding what they truly are, but sounds like that gig was totally shady.

*uncorked said...

Oh that sucks. I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time - and door to door? Hell no. Don't you dare. Dangerous and not worth it.